Words from the Master

May 25, 2009  at 2:24 AM

Yes…?

Swamiji, how do we overcome fear for small things?

First of all understand that all small fears are mere projections of the ultimate fear of death. Second, don’t resist the fear in you. Just keep repeating to yourself that you are scared and go through it, that’s all! You will soon find that the fear is no longer there because you saw it through. Start doing this every time you feel fear.

When you consciously work on this, you will understand that what you call fear is nothing but your response or reaction to an incident or thought. Depending on how you respond, you can claim that you did not have fear or had fear. And, with more and more awareness, you can respond towards fear without fear!

Remember one thing: No one can claim to be fearless. One can learn to handle fear without fear, that’s all. If anyone professes to be fearless, be very clear that they have not analyzed deeply the subject of fear and human response to it. Don’t start thinking that they are superhumans and you are a lesser mortal.

Yes…

Swamiji, I remember how you made me overcome my fear for spiders!

(Swamiji laughs!) Yes yes, tell them how ma!

(A young girl says) While in our discussions one day, I jumped up when I saw a spider and you laughed at me for it. You told me to meditate on the spider every time I saw one. I followed this meticulously and every time I saw one, I looked at it with awareness and concentration. Slowly I started wondering why I was scared of it after all!

Yes, did you all hear that? It is only a question of bringing awareness into our fears. You will then wonder what it was that caused the fear in you!

(Another young girl) Swamiji I remember when we were all standing around you in the Ganges river in the Himalayas, there was a small water snake that came up to where we were. While I squealed and scrambled in the water, Anupama was calmly looking at it even while it brushed past her. You then scolded me for not bringing in awareness at that moment, in your presence that too.

Yes! Now you are able to connect to what I mean when I say awareness.

The only way to get out of these fears is to visualize them and go through them as a reality with the power of your visualization. You can even sit by yourself and imagine that your fears are happening to you. In your imagination, confront them with deep awareness and calmness. If you suffer in the process of visualization, it is alright. Don’t suppress it or punish it. If your body shakes with fear, let it. Just co-operate with your intelligence and allow yourself to flow with it. Anything when lived out completely will have no effect over you. All your fears are simply fear of your fears, that’s all!

______________________
This excerpt has been taken from the book: Guaranteed Solutions.

Seek at Leisure