Words from the Master

Feb 21, 2009  at 2:17 AM

Why can’t we take every moment as it is? Why do we need to link the moment to the past and future and draw conclusions? Why is the mind looking for consistency in everything that it sees? And when it fails to see, why does it find it difficult to digest? This is because, you are always looking to frame things with the help of your mental makeup, with the help of your stored engrams; and when you can’t, you get worried.

Have you seen me worrying any time? How many of you have asked me how I am able to be cheerful and unperturbed at all times? Let me tell you: The reason is, I simply live in the moment, that’s all. I don’t carry the past as a reference in my mind. I don’t burden my mind with these kinds of references. I act from spontaneity, not from patterns.

I am like a river that flows. Many of you who have accompanied me, would have seen the river Ganges flow in the Himalayas. It is so beautiful. It appears serene at certain places, turbulent at other places, crystal clear at times and murky at other times. Where a person encounters it, that will be the experience he gets from it.

Can two people who encountered it ever compare notes and complain? How foolish it would be! The river simply flows to the music of Existence, that’s all! It has no plan. I am like the Ganges. I flow without a plan, just spontaneously, without a worry. Existence is the master planner.

Because of my spontaneity, people pass judgment on me; they say I am inconsistent. How many of you here have complained at my so-called inconsistent words and behavior? Come on, raise your hands!

(after a long gap, a few venture...) See! I am sure all of you must have had this thought at some point in time, just that only these people have had the courage to raise their hands.

Can you say that the Ganges is inconsistent? Can you say that the Ganges should flow in a more orderly fashion? No! That is the way the river flows, that’s all; you can’t pass judgment on it. In the same way, I flow like a river and you can’t call me inconsistent. I live moment to moment while you live with highly interconnected and complicated moments put together. What is the result? You feel burdened and worried.

When you have so many moments weighing on you, won’t you definitely feel heavy? In the same way, when only the moment is on you, won’t you feel light? All your worries are because you connect the present and the future with past patterns. In the whole process, you miss the present, which is actually a gift to you. You continuously miss the present for the sake of the past and the future. Finally, only the future and the past remain, never the present.

These patterns that cause the current of worry have become a life-sustaining element for our mind.

______________________
This excerpt has been taken from the book: Guaranteed Solutions.

Seek at Leisure