Words from the Master

Oct 28, 2009  at 2:06 AM

Discontentment will pull you down, make you heavy and miserable. On the other hand, gratitude and the fulfillment that comes along with it, will make you light and blissful. We all feel discontented because we take things for granted. When you take things for granted, you miss a lot and nothing will make you happy or joyful. I tell you: Never take anything for granted.

Listen to this small story:

A beggar stopped a man on the road and asked him, “Two years back, you used to give me 20 rupees; last year fully, you gave me only 10 rupees; for the past few months, you are giving me only 2 rupees, why?”
The man replied, “First I was a bachelor, then I married and now I have a baby, that’s why.”
The beggar cried, “What? You are using my money to run your family?”
(Loud laughter!)

The beggar says, “You are using my money to run your family!” Actually, many of us think that it is our birthright to expect another person to keep providing for us and for our needs. And we simply take them for granted.

We don’t realise what deep ignorance we are in when we have this kind of attitude. We are not even aware that we are totally lacking, when we are this way. This whole attitude has to undergo a radical change. Even your own father or mother or husband or wife should not be taken for granted.

______________________
This excerpt has been taken from the book: Guaranteed Solutions.

Seek at Leisure