Words from the Master

Mar 22, 2009  at 2:14 AM

People tell me, “Swamiji, it is very inspiring to listen to you talking. Now we have to apply it in our day-to-day life and see if it will work.”

See, be very clear: I always tell only practical things. Never think that I tell things that can’t be done in day-to-day life.

Actually all I am doing is, repeating the same Vedanta – but in different words, in the modern context, so that you feel comfortable listening to it; so that you feel that it is relevant to you, so that you can follow it. And there is another thing: If you read these ideas in a book, they will simply be moving from the head of the writer, to your own head. There is no scope for any experience. But when you listen to these words from a Master, from someone who speaks to you from the experience of his soul – they will enter deep into you, whether you are aware of it or not.

Be very clear: I am not sharing my knowledge with you. I am sharing my experience, my life, with you. When I speak from my Being, it has to touch your Being. It will transform your life. There is no other way.

Vivekananda spoke in Chicago, “My dear American brothers and sisters…” The auditorium thundered with applause. A lady wrote, “It was not just the applause. He had won an entire nation. We felt as if a current of Love was passing through us, through our Being…!” She later asked Vivekananda how it happened and he simply replied, “Because it came from within me.”

Vivekananda spoke from his Being. When words emanate from the brain, it will touch the brain of the other person and this is called ‘communication’. When words emanate from the heart of one person, it touches the heart of the other person and this is called ‘communion.’ Communication is not enough; we need to know how to commune. Now I tell you: I talk from the bottom of my heart, so you will listen whole-heartedly.

When the speaker speaks with totality, the listener is bound to listen with totality. His life is bound to be transformed. If your life has not been touched by my words, be very clear: I have no authority to speak. You are free to doubt the truth of my experience. If you feel that my words have not been able to transform your life, there is no need to feel guilty. Come out with it. But I tell you: there is no way you will not be touched by me!

If you listen with your heart, you will see my teachings working out in your life automatically, when the time comes. Only a teacher who is unsure of himself needs to urge his disciples to go back and practice his words. When a true Master speaks, simply listening will do. Listen totally; the transformation will happen automatically.

______________________
This excerpt has been taken from the book: Guaranteed Solutions.

Seek at Leisure