Words From The Master - 03 March 2008

Mar 3, 2008  at 4:17 AM

Doubt

Doubt is the most deadly weapon that the ego has! The ego will continuously create doubts and questions in your mind. In the beginning it will make you worry,

Can I really meditate?
Can I sit for so many hours with my bad back?
Is this path really for me?
What if I get drawn too deeply in?
What will happen to my family?
Will my friends call me crazy?
Am I really crazy?

If you are working with a master, it will bring up doubts against the master!

Is the master really authentic?
Does he know which technique is right for me?
What is his purpose in teaching me meditation?
Is this some kind of hypnosis?

So if you find these kinds of questions coming up, don’t bother. Simply drop the questions and continue with the meditation. Don’t feel guilty about having these questions! These questions arise naturally in everyone’s mind. And don’t try to struggle with these questions. Don’t make the mistake of struggling with the ego! Because the ego is just something imaginary, it has no positive existence. Ego is nothing but the lack of awareness. Just like darkness is a state of no-light, ego is a state of noawareness. If you are in a dark room, can you fight the darkness and push it out, to make the room bright? Does it make sense to struggle against the darkness? In fact, your solution has nothing to do with the darkness. You have to simply ignore the darkness, and bring in a lamp. The darkness will disappear on its own! In the same way, don’t waste your energy fighting with the ego. Focus on bringing awareness into your meditation. By and by, the questions will drop on their own.

(to be continued.)
______________________
This excerpt has been taken from the book: "Meditation is for You" -- an introduction to the science and art of meditation

Seek at Leisure