Words From The Master: 26 Feb 2008

Feb 26, 2008  at 5:58 AM

Towards Meditative Living

Transformations you will see

Just freedom

(continuation from earlier post)

In all our actions, we are prompted by one of these two things – freedom for or freedom from. The greed for something good, or the fear of something bad.

Our whole life is controlled by these two ropes of greed and fear. But when you are being controlled by these two ropes, where is the freedom that you are craving for?

A few weeks back a casual devotee, an artist, was speaking to me. He was telling my why he hated meditation.

Swamiji, I hate all these rules and discipline. I like to be free to lead my life the way I want. See, I get up at 10 o’clock, first thing I have my coffee, then I go for a swim whenever I feel like…

He described his whole day to me.

Then I asked him, What if someone woke you up at 6 o’clock? Or what if your coffee doesn’t reach your bedside one morning?

Oh, that would make me really mad!, he said, laughing.

And what if it is raining and you miss your swim?, I asked.

Yeah, that’s a lousy thing. If I can’t go for my swim, I feel really lousy the whole day.

Then I asked him,
If your freedom is dependent on so many conditions, are you really free?

To be really free, is to be free no matter what.

That’s what I call just freedom. Not freedom for or freedom from. Just freedom comes out of living completely in the present moment. You experience this freedom when you are not bound by greed or fear, by hopes for the future or regrets from the past. Freedom that doesn’t depend on any external circumstances is the only true freedom. This is the freedom that you will experience with meditation.

(to be continued.)
______________________
This excerpt has been taken from the book: "Meditation is for You" -- an introduction to the science and art of meditation

Seek at Leisure